Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Ode to Veggie Soup

For those of you that know me very well, you know that one of my favorite things is my Moms amazing veggie soup. I have honestly loved this for as far back as I can remember!

I would always NEED (yes, NEED. Not want. NEED!!) veggie soup on my bad days, when things were not going well and seemed as though they wouldn't be getting better anytime soon. My mom would tell me how easy it is to make but I would always turn it down because honestly, in my mind, it wouldn't be the same. Moms just always have a way of putting that special kind of love into things that you just don't get if she doesn't make it herself. I really thought that I would mess it up and never try again.

Mom sent me the recipe in my awesome book for Christmas one year and I was very happy to have it in my arms. My boyfriend Brian said that he would make it for me if I wouldn't do it myself! (I love him!) I decided that it was only right that I made it myself to see that I was able to make it just as good as Momma had. I was motivated by my daughter. I wanted her to taste the one thing that I loved so much and hopefully create the love for the soup in her, that lived inside of me.

Surprise! Surprise! I made the soup and it tasted so AMAZING!! I was in love! And so proud of myself! It looked, tasted, and smelled almost exactly the same. That mom love was missing... but it was still perfect! Another surprise (that wasn't very surprising to me) was that my daughter LOVED the soup BUT picked out the cabbage and the onions.... just like I did. :) Made me laugh! I went ahead and told her about me not liking those things either but that omitting them was NOT an option! I think she gets it and now only picks out the onions!

My Momma is my best friend and when she told me that she was going to write about Veggie Soup, I knew that this was going to be something that made me cry!She is good at touching my heart like that. Well, she did it and I was right about crying! It's a great post and I want you all to go see it here! :)

Now for the recipe! It really is very simple and very pocket friendly! And being a frugal momma, that makes me very happy!

Mommas Veggie Soup


You will need:

  • 2-3Pounds of hamburger
  • 1 Large onion
  • 2 cans of green beans (drained)
  • 2 cans corn (not drained)
  • 2 cans peas (not drained)
  • 1 can carrots (drained)
  • 1 can stewed tomatoes
  • 2-3 stalks of celery, chopped
  • 2 cans of beef broth or 1 box
  • 1 large can of tomato juice
  • 5-6 potatoes, cubed raw
  • small head of cabbage, chopped quarter size
  • tsp. garlic powder
  • tsp. onion powder
  • tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
Put it together:

In a 15 qt. stock pot, brown the hamburger and the onion. Don't drain. Add  celery, potatoes and 4 cups of water. Cook for 20 minutes and then add all of the ingredients EXCEPT the cabbage. Bring to a boil. Add the cabbage. It will float on the top until it cooks down. If you use a big pot like mine, it will fit nicely. If you use a smaller one, keep adding the cabbage til its all in there! Now turn down the heat and simmer for an hour or two. Stir occasionally. Now devour it!




I really hope that you will try it and let me know what you think! Do not hesitate to ask any questions about how to make this. This is my first recipe I have ever posted so I hope I wrote it so that it makes sense to everyone! Do you have a comfort food that mom could always make to cheer you up! Let me know! I look forward to hearing from you all! Frugaly Yours. 

10 comments:

  1. Thanks. I've come over from Chickens in the Road because this sounds like HEAVEN.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also came from CITR to find this recipe. I will make it this weekend, and freeze some for this winter, as there is just me. Thank you for posting. I have one of those recipes from my own mother. A clam chowder recipe she brought from Norway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also came over from CITR to get your mama's recipe. Looks good and you did just fine with the post! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is Chickens in the Road??? LOL Sounds interesting!

    Shay- The soup looks amazing, sounds amazing, and I can't wait to eat it! What time is dinner??

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the ladies from Chicken in the Road, thank you so much for stopping by! I really hope that you enjoy the soup! It honestly is the best thing I have ever had... but I am not partial or anything :) And Elyse, CITR is a blog full of so many awesome yummy foods to make!! :) You can join by going to the link! You will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What kind of peas? green? black-eye? other?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely tribute to your mom Shay!! Can't wait to try her Vegie soup!! Over from CITR also!!
    Fondly , Rain :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just regular green peas. I apologize for being slow sometimes with this. I have a new baby and 2 other kids and am still trying to get into the swing of things. Soon, hopefully, I will have everything in order so that I can stay on top of this all the time. I look so forward to that! I am really good at spreading myself pretty thin! But I think we all are sometimes! Thanks again ladies for stopping by. Don't forget to come back and let me know what you thought of the soup!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've made this soup and it's as yummy as you said. And easy. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great! I am so happy you enjoyed it! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete